Toponym of classical origin, the name of Forlì derives from the Foro of Livio. The town wasn’t known for centuries, constant that was repeated for various eras, following the motions of history that involved it no less than the other towns, with the advent of the Napoleonic troops or during the Unification of Italy.
Considered a center for harvesting and sorting agricultural production, Forlì stood on a small island between the Rabbi river and the Montone river, and until 1050, when the water system was regulated, it had to worry only about surviving the floods.
The city is also known for the dialect nickname “Zitadon”, the “Cittadone” and has long been considered the most populous city in Romagna, winning the linguistic supremacy of the Romagna dialect.
Diego Fabbri Theatre
Designed by the Imola-based architect Cosimo Morelli, the Diego Fabbri Theatre was inaugurated in 1776, two years before the Scala in Milan.
In 1944 the civic tower, during a bombardment, ruined the “Teatro Comunale”, located at the current Piazzetta della Misura, completely destroying it. Since then, the city has not had an Italian theatre. The most important shows were then performed at the Astra cinema, in Corso Diaz, which then changed its name to “Teatro Astra” and finally, after the restoration of 2000, in “Teatro Diego Fabbri”, in honor of the great dramatist from Forlì.
The Diego Fabbri Theatre of Forlì, today the most important theatre of the city, opened its doors in September 2000, inaugurated by a concert of the Orchestra Filarmonica della Scala of Milan conducted by Maestro Riccardo Muti.
Diego Fabbri Theatre: Corso A. Diaz 47, 47121 Forlì (FC)
Municipality of Forlì – cultural office: Ph. +39 0543 712163
Diego Fabbri Theatre: Ph. +39 0543 712176
Iat – Forlì Tourism: Ph. +39 0543 712435