The characteristic of this town, the second largest city in the province of Bologna, is in the age of its territory: the Via Emilia preserves a sinuosity that gives the primacy of housing during the pre-Roman era.
After the advent of the Romans, like many Po Valley provinces, its territory suffered various damages from the barbarian invasions, the Marcomanni, the Goths and the Lombards later. Its extension was very limited and even during the Middle Ages it had to contend with the larger towns of Bologna and Faenza, which always claimed its ownership.
A large wave of plague around 1300 hit a third of the population, while it was towards the end of 1700 that part of the territory was occupied by the French revolutionary forces, but with the Restoration it returned under the Papal State. Another noteworthy situation was its participation in the Second World War which caused considerable damage to the city and its citizens. However, it was in the post-war period, around the 1960s, that Imola saw great industrial growth with the construction of new neighborhoods thanks to which it was the protagonist of rapid economic development.
The ancient “Tozzoni houses” were transformed into a palace between 1726 and 1738. The project was probably guided by the Bolognese architect Alfonso Torreggiani and built by the Ticinese Domenico Trifogli. The building shows all the characters of the contemporary Bolognese language: the façade with the imposing door and the spacious hall on the main floor. The decorations are by the Giovan Battista Verda from Ticino, while the statues bear the Flemish signature of Francesco Janssens. During this period the west wing was restructured according to the French taste of the beginning of the eighteenth century, while the restructuring of the east wing breathes a neoclassical style.
Tozzoni Palace: Via Giuseppe Garibaldi, 18 – 40026 Imola (BO)
Iat – Informazione Accoglienza Turistica: Ph. +39 0542 602207