The characteristic of this town, the second largest city in the province of Bologna, is in the age of its territory: the Via Emilia preserves a sinuosity that gives the primacy of housing during the pre-Roman era.
After the advent of the Romans, like many Po Valley provinces, its territory suffered various damages from the barbarian invasions, the Marcomanni, the Goths and the Lombards later. Its extension was very limited and even during the Middle Ages it had to contend with the larger towns of Bologna and Faenza, which always claimed its ownership.
A large wave of plague around 1300 hit a third of the population, while it was towards the end of 1700 that part of the territory was occupied by the French revolutionary forces, but with the Restoration it returned under the Papal State. Another noteworthy situation was its participation in the Second World War which caused considerable damage to the city and its citizens. However, it was in the post-war period, around the 1960s, that Imola saw great industrial growth with the construction of new neighborhoods thanks to which it was the protagonist of rapid economic development.
Church of San Domenico
The Church of San Domenico, together with the adjacent Dominican convent, is part of the great complex of the same name that already houses the Municipal Art Gallery and is about to host the other museum collections at the end of demanding restorations. The history of the building is therefore linked to that of the Dominican order, which in 1280 began the construction of the church and later the convent. The Gothic church, completed in 1374, was deeply modified in the 17th and 18th centuries. Among the many paintings to be preserved, we remember “The martyrdom of St. Orsola” by Ludovico Carracci. Outside, on the other hand, the large terracotta portal of 1340, by Iacopo da Cereto, is imposing with the splendid rose window.
Church of San Domenico: Via Quarto 1 – 40026 Imola (BO)
Municipality of Imola – cultural office: Tel. +39 0542 602 428
Iat – Informazione Accoglienza Turistica: Ph. +39 0542 602207