The International Museum of Ceramics in Faenza was founded in September 1908 at the end of the International Exhibition dedicated to Evangelista Torricelli which displayed the products of many Italian and European manufacturers. The donation of ceramic works from the exhibitors was the original beginning of the museum which was enriched progressively with other works. It was Gaetano Ballardini that carried out the majority of the work in establishing the museum, he was the director until 1953. The growth of the institution suffered a sudden setback in May 1944 when a bomb caused the almost total destruction of the museum with heavy and incurable losses to the collection and archived material. “Post fata Resurgo” (Resurrection from death) was the motto for the reconstruction; with great determination, the help of collaborators and the community of Faenza, thanks also to support from a network of national and international contacts, Ballardini reorganised the collections and gave new impetus to the museum. The original aims stated in the statute – acquire, conserve and above all promote the production of ceramics – have remained through to the present.
The International Museum of Ceramics in Faenza contains the largest collection in the world dedicated to ceramics. The culture of ceramics spanning five continents and many centuries is documented in its rooms.
International Museum of Ceramics in Faenza – Viale Baccarini 19 – 48018 Faenza (RA)