Toponym of classical origin, the name of Forlì derives from the Foro of Livio. The town wasn’t known for centuries, constant that was repeated for various eras, following the motions of history that involved it no less than the other towns, with the advent of the Napoleonic troops or during the Unification of Italy.
Considered a center for harvesting and sorting agricultural production, Forlì stood on a small island between the Rabbi river and the Montone river, and until 1050, when the water system was regulated, it had to worry only about surviving the floods.
The city is also known for the dialect nickname “Zitadon”, the “Cittadone” and has long been considered the most populous city in Romagna, winning the linguistic supremacy of the Romagna dialect.
Church of San Giacomo in San Domenico
The church of St. James the Apostle is part of the conventual complex founded by the Dominican Order in Forlì in the first half of the 13th century. The recovered found, visible through the floor to ceiling windows and in the museum in the basement, soon to be opened, document the evolutionary phases.
The original settlement consisted of a small and simple church, with a nave with three naves and three bays, as well as two apsidal chapels, with an adjoining convent on the southern side. The bell tower has always been in its current position, as confirmed by some Gothic architectural elements.
San Giacomo Church in San Domenico: G. da Montefeltro square, 47121 Forlì (FC)
Municipality of Forlì – cultural office: Ph. +39 0543 712163
San Domenico Museum: Ph. +39 0543 712 659
Iat – Forlì Turism: Ph. +39 0543 712435