The intersection between the two main city streets (the decumanus, which coincides with the via Emilia, and the hinge) has always been the heart of Faenza, since the Roman foundation. But it was with the rise to power of Manfred (1313) that began the process of “settling” which, in the course of several centuries, would have led to the current configuration. The earliest medieval testimonies, before the advent of the Manfred, received until we return the image of a town first under the feudal hegemony of the Archbishops of Ravenna, then slowly freed as a free municipality. In the Renaissance period the Manfred family reigned, with the aid of the Medici, up to the threshold of the sixteenth century, to succumb in front of the Borgias and then follow the fate common to many cities of Emilia Romagna.
Carlo Zauli Museum
In the heart of the city of ceramics, the Zauli Museum celebrates the Faenza sculptor ceramist, in this art among the most remarkable personalities of the twentieth century: the works of Carlo Zauli are now exhibited in forty museums all over the world, and in 2002, year of the artist’s death, the museum was inaugurated in the spaces that housed the atelier. The shop, housed in the stables of the convent of San Francesco and dominated by the imposing bell tower of the church, was purchased by Carlo Zauli in 1949, and destined for an artisan production with markedly contemporary features. Over the years the original site was expanded into a complex of buildings erected around the room of the ovens, which today make up the Museo Carlo Zauli, custodian of the permanent collection and the spirit of the artist, through numerous projects of cultural avantgarde.
Carlo Zauli Museum: Street della Croce, 6 – 48018 Faenza (Ra)